All individuals interested in completing a teacher education program of study within the School of Education must complete three key steps, called "transition points."
Successful completion of a teacher education begins with three transition points after the declaration of a major in an area of teacher education. The three transition points for teacher education majors are as follows: Admission to Teacher Education; Admission to Clinical Practice; and University Recommendation for South Carolina licensure upon completion of the program.
Declaration of Major
大发注册入口Information including GPA, SAT/ACT scores, and field experience evaluations will be collected for all individuals officially declaring a major in one of the teacher education programs.
Transition Point I. Admission to Teacher Education
大发注册入口Admission to teacher education is based upon consideration of each student’s academic achievement, professional and leadership potential, and dispositions. Any student desirous of completing a major in one of the 7 teaching options must seek formal admission to the teacher education program. The following steps are to be completed by a student for formal admission to candidacy:
- Completion of at least 45 semester hours of course work
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.75
- Passing * (reading, writing and mathematics)
- Acceptable score on Interview I
- Acceptable scores on Field Experience Evaluations I
Once the student has been formally notified of admission to a teacher education program, he/she is then considered a Teacher Candidate and is eligible to enroll in specialized methods courses. Students must be admitted to teacher education at least one semester prior to enrolling in Student Teaching.
Transition Point II. Professional Clinical Practice
Admission to teacher education is based upon consideration of candidates’ continuous academic achievement, professional and leadership potential, and dispositions. Candidates must seek formal admission to professional clinical practice. The following steps are to be completed by a candidate for formal admission to professional clinical practice as a Student Teacher:
- Maintain a minimum cumulative grade average of 2.75
- 100 documented field experience hours
- Passing * (all tests required for licensure)
- Passing scores on the * (PLT) at the grade level appropriate for certification
- Acceptable score on Interview II
- Acceptable score on Field Experience Evaluations III
- Approved SC Department of Education application
- Pass background check (fingerprint review)
Transition Point III: Graduation – Recommendation for Certification
The final formal stage of the teacher preparation program involves candidates’ completion of the professional clinical experiences, a passing grade in Student Teaching and satisfactory scores on all professional clinical evaluations. The following steps are to be completed by a candidate for recommendation for licensure and Completer designation:
- Earned a minimum cumulative grade average of 2.75
- Grade of “C” or better in Student Teaching (EDUC 450)
- Acceptable score on the Professional Portfolio
- Acceptable score on the Unit Work Sample
- Acceptable score on the Long Range Plan
- Acceptable score on the Mentor Teacher Evaluation
- Acceptable score on the University Supervisor Evaluation
- Completed Candidate Exit Survey
*Visit ets.org/praxis/sc/requirements/ for further details on Praxis requirements. See expanded information under Entrance to a Teacher Preparation Program for Praxis I requirements, under Principles of Learning for grade level appropriate PLT, and under Tests Required for Specific Licensure Areas for the Praxis II test requirements associated with the degree of study.